hit counter
free web hit counter

Friday, July 21, 2006

I have tried to upload my favourite photo to add to this blog. My niece Audrey took it last fall. I am still having computer glitches, however. So each day I'll take a stab at figuring out this site a bit more. In the meantime, the daily routine doesn't change too much. In between wandering around the delights of the garden, cooking and cleaning, and reading (lately summer escape fiction from Ludlum and Clancy...I am saving "The Constant Gardener" for a more serious moment)...and a little writing.

Today I received the summer edition of a Canadian Literary Magazine, "The Fiddlehead." I have only just begun diving into some of its poems but so far they are brilliant. Sometimes I wonder why it's so hard to break into the CanLit mags, and then I see that if and when I do, I'll truly be in amazing company. Of course, there are also disappointments. I found myself published in this year's Poetry Annual entitled "Quills". The magazine looks nice, is well designed...and then at the end, there is an erotica section entitled "Lust". There I found a real mix of quality. Some subtlety but mostly badly written fantasies about doing to and being done to which for me had the erotic value of electric implements. When people mix in too much vulgarity, or liberal use of the f' word as though there were something original in it, the cliché outweighs any possible true passion in text.

Anyway, on to less moralizing or sermonizing. I do enjoy revisiting poets I really enjoy, and I urge those of you with a poetic bent to discover the poems of Atlantic poet Anne Compton if you haven't already done so. Her book, "processional," won the Governor General's prize...and I understand why. It's a rich read, full of earth images and philosophic insights; words to take one beyond the prosaic.

I haven't figured out yet how to add links. When I do, I'll connect you with a few poets I like, and perhaps with some of the Baha'i sites I think are beautifully done. For now, from Compton:

"What a difference a word makes. And how sound/the change?"