hit counter
free web hit counter

Tuesday, February 17, 2009


It has been a while, again, but I want to post today because of the critical nature of this message about what is happening to the Bahá'ís of Iran. To do so, allow me to post a link: it's an article at CNN in which Bahá'í actor Rainn Wilson (of The Office fame) sends out his voice as a plea for the arrested Iranian Bahá'ís currently in prison (due to religious intolerance). The voice of the world protests this unfair incarceration, and Wilson is one of the recent people of prominence to bring this travesty to the attention of the world. In other news, I have been saddened to hear from my friends Craig and Susanne that Craig's cancer has escalated and he is now preparing for his journey to the next world of existence. This journey has been documented through their amazing blog which, if you haven't read it yet, and you want to see the dignity and grace with which a couple face this disease, I recommend.

Teaching and writing continue to be busy. I currently have four classes in English (two grade 12s, one grade 11, and one grade 10 Adapted). I am enjoying each of them for different reasons. One of the things I enjoy, in fact, is the increasing diversity in this northern community. In addition to people from the city itself, there are several Nigerian students here to get credit for entry into Canadian and American universities, some Filipinos, several First Nations students (not only of the local Cree and Beaver peoples but also from other areas of BC, including a young Haida woman), and students from India and from Asia. The BC curriculum requires thematic teaching so that I am able to use a number of resources dealing with the idea of Global Issues. I love this: I am teaching writing to students to whom I suggest the theme that when one is going to write, it ought to be for relevance and they ought to have something to say. I get to listen, every day, to such a variety of views! I am also grateful for the diversity of resources available, from YouTube playlists (of which I have created several for teaching purposes) to TED talks (www.TED.com/) and a number of educational institutions which offer "poetry luncheons" and other delightful opportunities to bring the world into your home.

Our library also offers outstanding films. The other night my husband and I finally discovered a film we had heard of: Atarjanuat: The Fast Runner. It is, indeed, remarkable, and one of our new favourites, along with Planet Earth and the Blue Planet series. I am also spending some of this long, long winter reading, and have been enjoying a couple of Lydia Millet's rather funny novels: satire, indeed.

My sister has also begun a blog. I am linking it along with others, at the side. Do enjoy!

I took the photo above at the beginning of our long winter...somehow, silver gray seems to be my theme these days. Beauty of the world...and we approach the festive days, for our faith, of Ayyam-i-Ha, followed by the blessed Fasting period.

I am grateful.