hit counter
free web hit counter

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I am writing from Ottawa. For the last twelve days, I have been visiting our National Capital Region as a tourist, with one overnight jaunt to Montreal. It's intense, coming back as a tourist to a place you have lived. The main purpose, of course, was to see family (our daughters and my husband's sisters) but there have also been reunions with dear others (my cousin, my niece, good friends). We have enjoyed dinners (all-you-can-eat sushi at "Yummy Sushi", Korean barbecue, Indian buffet, Thai, and Ethiopian) in these cosmopolitan cities. We have been hosted by Persian friends who prepared a buffet, both spiritual and physical, to commemorate the martyrdom of the Bab (check out this link, among other good ones), and by our wonderful friends and former neighbours, Bob & France, as well as good buddies Wendy & Bernie. I was also thrilled to have some pool time with Judy, Linda, & Darlene, with Judy hosting, as usual, with generosity and charm. There were chance encounters: Maury, who works in Tanzania, in a book store; Bob, at Chapters, not quite so chance but nonetheless good to chat with him; it has been a very people-oriented time. Some of my family sneaked in a visit to our National Gallery, always a wonderful place; I have had the opportunity to visit with various older friends (Don & Diana at the delicious Green Door restaurant), David & Belinda at Raw Sugar on Somerset (recommended both for its treats and its lovely decor), and today, I am off for a luncheon with France & Bea before catching a plane. Did I say it's been intense, and people-oriented?

Highlights in the National Capital: in the incredible heat wave here, air conditioning was a blessing, and one evening we took in a show at the Umi cafe by the delightful Kate Elliott of Oregon, whom we hope to hear again live on her cross-Canada tour (watch for her) in addition to having purchased her CD; then we walked up to Parliament Hill to see the annual light show on Centre Block. Fortunately the evening had cooled to a sultry and muggy 28 C. Have you taken this show in? If you are in Ottawa, in summer, it's a must. For one thing, folks, it's absolutely free. Only in Canada...My daughter and I had been before, but you really must go if you can: it has a new look, high tech, very beautiful, multilingual, historic...We were reflecting on what the odds would be to have such a show at the White House, on the lawn, for the public to stroll in and enjoy. Free. Without obtrusive security. Crowds, but with bleachers (and folding chairs for dignitaries, including elder William Commanda. Why the VIPs? we wondered, as the chair of the NCC gave an intro? Because we had happened upon the opening night of the new show. It was splendid.

We took in the Miles Davis exhibition at the Musee de Beaux Arts in Montreal (fascinating, & filled with some amazing photographs and of course his music; I had not realized he was also a creditable painter). Afterwards my friend Susi and I (in a brief reunion; she's from Brazil and I'd not seen her in 28 years!) wandered through a bit of the rest of the collection. I am still awestruck every time I see a Monet painting, & my husband is amazed by Rodin and sculpture. This exhibit offered some Monets for me and one sculpture for him. However, there were also some other lovely paintings and I enjoyed discussing Picasso, Miro, Sisley, Renoir, and Magritte, among others, with my lovely Persian-Brazilian companion. Wahoo!

Yes, I will be posting some pictures...but today, the adventure continues. Did I say it's intense? I am very blessed to have this time with my husband, family, and friends, spent in two great Canadian cities.

Next, Victoria and my parents!