hit counter
free web hit counter

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Days of ordinary routines become extraordinary, perhaps through anticipation, perhaps through attitude.

The other day Bernie came home and suggested an unusual diversion...Mini-Putt! So after supper one of our daughters, our son, Bern and I went off to shoot little golf balls into little holes (half-price because of the change of season! 10 bucks for the four of us) and it was just fun. Now we are in the midst of painting and cleaning in preparation for the arrival of my parents on Thursday (Mom's oxygen was delivered this morning) and I take pleasure in small things: we are finally getting our hot tub up and running, I transplanted the tall lucky bamboos into fresh water, another book arrived in the mail (Robert Bly...I find most of his works so fascinating)...I had tea with a friend at Bridgehead yesterday...it's busy but it's satisfying to see the seasons change. Next week Dad and I will get out into the yard together since both of us find that kind of work very satisfying, and will get the gardens ready for winter, including planting many bulbs for spring displays of tulips and daffodils. I have to take out the last of the sunflowers although I admit I have been pleasantly surprised by the endurance of the zinnias. Next week my birthday celebration and book launch, and in addition to my own preparations for that event, family members have offered contributions: my sister-in-law offered to bake her famous butter cookies, my niece her wonderful ginger ones. I myself have a long list of cheesecakes, pies, flan, and carrot cake to make...and other activities as well, including beginning a Ruhi 4 course in nearby Wakefield with my parents, my husband, and some friends.

Life is full of rich gifts, and I am grateful.