hit counter
free web hit counter

Monday, August 28, 2006

Yesterday was a deluge much welcomed by the gardens, and despite the fact that it was reasonably warm, I burned the first fire of the season. Our living room is cozy, and I still prefer the redolence of the wood fire, and the sound of its crackling, in the fireplace. I curled up for some of the afternoon for a Sunday cup of tea and finished up a novel (not memorable, so I won't give you more detail)...and then my sister-in-law Joanne, with son Barry, came for chicken dinner and the evening. We had a terrific discussion of books, because she had just finished reading one which I lent her, Barbara Gowdy's the white bone. She asked about my top ten list, and we found some agreement (by this time Jesse had come home and he and Barry had gone off to play video games or some such thing). So Bernie and Joanne and I munched (chocolate and cashews; I had not had chocolate for many weeks but couldn't resist a little bit of the dark one...mmm) and discussed books (which seems a propos since we are about to begin the annual Ottawa Writers' Festival).

My all-time favourite remains Gabriel Garcia Marquez One Hundred Years of Solitude, which of course is translated from the Spanish. Second would be another book in translation, from the French: Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. If you are a serious reader, don't bother with the abridged edition. Another one on the top list is very difficult but like falling into an ocean and swimming for the rest of your life, refreshed, with always a new view over the horizon: James Joyce's Ulysses. However, there are others, both favourite authors and books. John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany. Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible. I think I'd put the white bone up there too. The short stories of Alice Munro. Most of Alice Walker. The Kite-Runner, by relative newcome Khaled Husseini, is an impressive novel of Afghanistan. I still like the historical fiction of Leon Uris (Trinity, Mila 18) and some of James Michener (The Source, Poland).

I walked to the post office this morning (a fresh and beautiful day here in the Ottawa Valley), and had a mental conversation about some favourites. Actors: Ed Harris, Ed Norton, Albert Finney, and yes, the versatile and charming Tom Hanks. John Cusack is very, very cute. Actresses (is that too politically incorrect these days?): Kathy Bates, both for her past repertoire and for her absolute courage in stepping naked into a hot tub with Jack Nicholson, and the world, looking on, in About Schmidt. Of course, Judi Dench is incomparable, and Cate Blanchett is amazing...and of the younger generation, I think Scarlett Johannsen is lovely and has talent. Of course there are many others.

Music commentary, another day. One does not wish to go on interminably. However, I must admit that I continue to like the young Josh Groban, and no doubt Mom and I will listen to a song or two. But I'd like to give a little recommendation to a CD which tells the history of the Babi faith (which segued into the Baha'i faith), and is eclectic, very listenable...

Smith & Dragoman. Check them out.

Have a wonderful week before the Labour Day weekend.