hit counter
free web hit counter

Monday, January 01, 2007

This seems like an appropriate image with which to greet a new year: it's a photo taken by my son when he and his aunts and cousins went through the newly renovated Museum of Nature and Science the other day. In addition to the Einstein exhibit, there were many dioramas of dinosaurs and apparently, of birds. He took a lot of pictures of birds! However, this little model seemed to be the best one to include for Happy New Year wishes to those of you following the Gregorian calendar. Rebirth...of course, this is illustrating the rebirth of a species now long extinct and I hope there isn't any kind of hidden (or blatant) irony there. In any case, may 2007 be all that you hope it to be.

One of the unexpected blessings of this holiday is that the family from Fort St. John brought a copy of a book written by my late colleague, Jerry Secrist. Jerry was originally from Utah, and he passed away last winter after a long and courageous battle with cancer. I was in FSJ during the time of his passing and was able to attend his funeral and pay my last respects. It was mentioned that after his retirement, never one to entirely slow down, Jerry had written a novel, and it was this book which David B. brought me to read. So in my quiet moments, I have been reading A Place to Stand: A Tale From the Peace Country. Jerry and I were colleagues at the English department in North Peace Secondary School, and I am very pleased to have had an opportunity to read his book. It's a lovely story and it is set almost entirely in the Peace River Valley country of northern B.C., where we lived and where Jerry was an avid outdoorsman. He traces the history of the development of the area as a part of his story, and the affection he felt for its rivers, valleys, and natural wonders is palpable. His vivid descriptions of the land, and the hard, cold winters tempered by the soft colours of spring and the vibrant summers are beautifully drawn. I also appreciated his inclusion of the First Nations people of the area in a sensitive portrayal which ensured that despite a depiction of some of the social problems encountered by many in the north, there was also a strong voice of appreciation for the husbandry of the land and the culture of the area as including its traditional peoples. At least, I think so. He did not write in an appropriative voice, nor did he sugar-coat the story, but he did make very sure to include some writing acknowledging the racism endured by many of the people and the struggle for cultural survival in the face of increased immigration. So I enjoyed the book at many levels, not the least of which was an opportunity to re-visit an area which Bernie and I, and the children, remember very fondly, and where three of my sisters and their families now reside. Bon voyage, Jerry: well done!

I am also putting finishing touches to a couple of manuscripts which have to be sent, so wish me luck in the writing department as well.

Yesterday I looked at some of the videos which have been posted to YouTube with the tag "Baha'i". Some, of course, are either inaccurate or inexpert, but there are some lovely examples of prayers and readings set to music and visuals. Take a look sometime if you are interested in finding some additions which could be used for Feasts and Holy Days if you have the technology for broadcast. One I particularly enjoyed was of a children's class play in Belmopan, Belize. After our many years there, it was quite wonderful to see the children and grandchildren of friends of the family, and others, so involved in teaching the shining light of faith and hope.

A good place to start 2007: the shining light of faith and hope to all of you.