hit counter
free web hit counter

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The heat has broken. Rain, all night and part of today, so needed for the gardens. We are beginning to harvest tomatoes: many, many tomatoes. This week I may have to learn a new skill, and make some salsa to can. I got a recipe from Andrea's mother-in-law, Joan Doran. Looks good. Looks like a lot of work.

I have been reading a lot, and not just summer reading. My sisters-in-law, Joanne and Genny, are both very good at finding good stuff and then sharing. I have just finished two novels, one quite stellar, the other very good. Try: Barbara Gowdy, the white bone Five stars & Nuala O'Faolain, my dream of you Four stars. The former is a Canadian author whose other works I will now seek out. I found that book at Value Village. Best 69 cents I ever spent. The other is a loaner, and, as you can probably extrapolate from the author's name, Irish.

I expect that this winter Dad and I will read some of these to my mother. My father continues to read aloud to her and they make their way through many recommended works. With them resident here for a good chunk of time, I should be able to give them quite a pile to enjoy. Dad won't have to go to the library: I have a small one here! One I think they will find fascinating, and which I think I have recommended before: The Golden Spruce. It is a story of the Haida Gwaii and a tree, and a mystery man. That's all I'll say...read the book.

Recently, due to the publication of Partners in Spirit, which is now being advertised for pre-order at Barnes & Noble (US), Amazon (UK) and Allbooks, I have had opportunity to connect with some old friends...Jonathan King, now of Austin, Texas, and Harsh Pancholi, just graduated in Victoria with a B.A. in Anthropology, among others. It is SO good to stay connected! My friend Hunter Goertz sent me a photo of himself and his brother Hans, scuba diving in Jamaica.

I am also working on writing, trying to get my next book finished up. Poems, too...some come each day.

A few leaves begin to turn colour. We live in a beautiful place to appreciate the fall. Tonight, a Baha'i feast to celebrate with the community.

I have a lot to be grateful for.