hit counter
free web hit counter

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Many years ago, when I was still teaching at Maxwell International Baha'i School on Vancouver Island, I recall telling my students that every time they said a Bad Word, they should say an "Allah'u'abha" (which is a Baha'i invocation and greeting meaning God is Most Glorious) to make up for it. I was only half-joking. I told them that we are supposed to have sugar-shedding lips and a honeyed tongue, imagery I borrowed from a Hidden Word. And on that basis, having gone on record about my dislike of profanity (by using some) yesterday on Facebook, I would like to offer a selection from Baha'u'llah's Hidden Words, by way of mea culpa and as a timely reminder to myself, as they seem a propos:

33. O MY BROTHER!

Hearken to the delightsome words of My honeyed tongue, and quaff the stream of mystic holiness from My sugar-shedding lips. Sow the seeds of My divine wisdom in the pure soil of thy heart, and water them with the water of certitude, that the hyacinths of My knowledge and wisdom may spring up fresh and green in the sacred city of thy heart.

66. O EMIGRANTS!

The tongue I have designed for the mention of Me, defile it not with detraction. If the fire of self overcome you, remember your own faults and not the faults of My creatures, inasmuch as everyone of you knoweth his own self better than he knoweth others.

22. O SON OF SPIRIT!

Noble I created thee, yet thou hast abased thyself. Rise then unto that for which thou wast created.

26. O SON OF BEING!

How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busy thyself with the faults of others? Whoso doeth this is accursed of Me.

26. O MY FRIEND IN WORD!

Ponder awhile. Hast thou ever heard that friend and foe should abide in one heart? Cast out then the stranger, that the Friend may enter His home.

69. O CHILDREN OF ADAM!

Holy words and pure and goodly deeds ascend unto the heaven of celestial glory. Strive that your deeds may be cleansed from the dust of self and hypocrisy and find favour at the court of glory; for ere long the assayers of mankind shall, in the holy presence of the Adored one, accept naught but absolute virtue and deeds of stainless purity. This is the day-star of wisdom and of divine mystery that hath shone above the horizon of the divine will. Blessed are they that turn thereunto.