hit counter
free web hit counter

Sunday, June 03, 2007

This morning I spoke with my lovely daughter, pictured here, in Rwanda. She had just been on a safari! She has fulfilled my dream of seeing giraffes in their natural habitat. Now I will have to do the same.

Her letters home, and the couple of conversations we've had by phone, are so happy. She is working for Radio Rwanda, both as a reporter and on air broadcaster, and she is learning to speak Kenyarwanda. A little.

I tell her of the garden: the yellow day lilies, the red ones about to burst open, the peonies about to bloom, the white irises, the purple ones, the cheerful pansies, the white lilac...and the vegetable garden, the tomatoes already in flower and the beans and peas reaching up, and up...and she laughs. She is seeing far less commonplace vistas. She is having the world open up. She is a Baha'i youth in Africa. To listen to her in her voice, go to her blog.