hit counter
free web hit counter

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Today I am borrowing an image from my friend Matt Pardy, currently travelling in China. He posted some photos to Facebook and for the topic of choice today, a stone Buddha seems like an appropriate image.

I have been reading the Don Cheadle/John Prendergast book, Not On Our Watch, which is a consciousness raising book about the horrors of the genocide in Sudan. It is hard to read, and the pictures are very difficult to look at. I chide myself because I am sitting comfortably in my home and when I am reading about all of these tragedies, it's too easy to feel helpless rage. But there are many places that a person can enlist to make a difference, and one is the link that the book recommends, so I add it now, here, in hopes that some of us will become more than apathetic and trusting that somehow it will all work out in the end. As the book repeats, and as the movie "Hotel Rwanda" reminds us (and I think of Rwanda a lot since my daughter is currently there, one person can make a difference. I am a writer; that is where I can start. I will write.