hit counter
free web hit counter

Sunday, October 15, 2006


As promised, I am sharing a photo of a visit from Regan. I got back from Chicago today and have downloaded photographs from a very busy week. Here, Regan and my mother enjoy a little after-dinner chat.

Another photo I wish to share was taken yesterday, by my host in Chicago, during the hour I had to go to the House of Worship there. It was a whirlwind day, arriving in Chicago by about 10:30 a.m. and being warmly greeted. Then we went directly to the House of Worship, where I was able to spend a little time shopping and some time offering prayers, both in the beautiful section inside the temple and in the downstairs area where 'Abdu'l-Baha laid the cornerstone so long ago. The gardens were still lovely, with fountains and flowers everywhere, and it was a glorious, sunny fall day. I took a picture of a rose, which I may share later this week, and many shots from inside the temple. When I have a chance, I'll make a slideshow and provide a link, but right now I wanted to write out the story of my time in Chicago while I still have it fresh in my mind.

After my visit to the temple, my host and I were delighted to be invited by some Baha'i friends who are actually Canadians working in the U.S. to join them for lunch. We found that we had many friends in common, and chatted and feasted...then went to Lee's home for more visiting before going to Transitions Bookplace for the scheduled book event. There, many area Baha'is as well as several interested friends of the Baha'is gathered at the bookstore, where my books were prominently displayed, and I spoke and read a couple of excerpts for about an hour. The talk was very well received, as well as videotaped, and I believe it is the intention that some of it may be used in a newsreel of some sort which is provided for the American Baha'is. Anyway, after my talk, I chatted and signed several books, after which a large group went for a Persian meal together. I was seated next to the editor of my book and we had a wonderful chat. He is a lovely person and I was delighted to learn more about him and his family. He and his wife are proud new parents to a baby son! I took him a bunch of Munsch books (Robert Munsch is a wonderful Canadian author of children's stories) and learned something of the history of his marriage to his lovely wife, who is from Ghana, in the Holy Land while they were serving the Baha'i World Centre.

After dinner, it was off to the home of my very gracious hosts, where we had tea and cookies and then some sleep before I was conducted to the airport for my flight home...and now, having regaled my parents and my husband with stories of a very intense twenty-four hours, I thought I would share some highlights with you.