hit counter
free web hit counter

Friday, September 14, 2007

I write from British Columbia, my new home in the Okanagan, my new work, and my new life. Much happens when you aren't really expecting it: be careful what you pray for!

When our family was in Israel, I prayed for the right opportunity. I came home and looked, half-heartedly, at the website I have watched, with varying degrees of success, for a few years. An advertisement caught my eye. I applied, was interviewed, and found myself on a plane on September 3, flying into Kelowna. Since, I have met my colleagues and students at The Glenfir School, in Summerland, BC, have met with Baha'i friends in nearby communities, have found a lovely apartment on a lavender farm. I have not taken one picture: it's as though I want to soak it in before I start to share it. It's also because even if I did take a picture, I would not be able to share it, since my computer is en route as I write. My dear husband is driving my car, my computer, a few precious artworks, and best of all, himself! out west and will hopefully arrive soon to spend a week before flying to my other home in the Gatineau Hills.

Culture shock? A little. The rocket launches, and lands beside a fine lake in the summertime, with the promise of an easy winter, and new friends to be made. I reflected that if I were to write a story about these events, the first line might be, "My first introduction to the Okanagan was picking golden raspberries by an apple orchard." Strictly speaking, it was not the first thing, but within a week of arrival I was chatting with my new landlady in her garden as she urged me to take all I wanted from the garden and orchards. We ate golden raspberries (slightly less tart than their red cousins) and watched the sun sink against the profile of Giant's Head Mountain. It is a small, quasi-desert here; the lake provides irrigation to offer some of the best fruit country in the country, although the wineries are now taking over (which impresses many tourists, it seems, but is no use to me!) But I am glad to be here, and will be more so when my family is able to join me for visits and ultimately, if all goes well, for Bernie to be here with me all the time.

In the meantime, I count blessings, and begin routines: I swam in Lake Okanagan last Sunday, a block from the beach at my new home, and joined the Summerland swimming pool this week and have had my first swim...each day, something new to find, and tomorrow, Saturday.

Be careful what you pray for!