hit counter
free web hit counter

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Today I share a link to a lovely blog. In the long time ago I worked with some very fine people at Maxwell International Baha'i School on Vancouver Island, the Hein family. Kurt and Delane were "dorm parents" and later, took on other roles, but eventually returned to Oregon, Delane's home, and Kurt keeps in loving touch with a host of people around and about. He has multiple sclerosis but this does not keep him from a lively computer correspondence, and recently he offered me an opportunity to get to know their daughter better. While I have met her, we do not know one another well. I had enjoyed the pleasure of teaching, and becoming a friend of their son's, and came to love him dearly. You have to hear Lukas play his saxophone! Anyway, I think their daughter is an artist at so many levels...and she writes a lovely account of their family's daily life in Zambia, where she and her husband Simon Richmond are raising three children. Take a look, if you're interested, at the life of a Baha'i family in Zambia.

At home, I quit meditating (read, sitting on the couch looking at the last day of October) and decided that today's exercise was to rake all the leaves in the front yard. It was cold and a slight drizzle...but Dad joined me and the two of us managed to work up a wee sweat. I took three loads of leaves down the hill in the red wheelbarrow, and Dad took two...and I shall rake some more in the back yard soon, unless it snows first. We did finally get all the bulbs in for the winter...and tonight are expecting Hallowe'en hordes.

I suppose the most excitement of the day was for my journalist daughter, who got to interview one of Unicef's lastest high profile ambassadors, the apparently-charming Ben Mulroney. Tune in to Carleton radio station on Wednesday noon for her clip with the host of Canadian Idol (and son of a former Canadian Prime Minister).

Life is interesting...